|ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE COMMISSION
|Print This Page
Achievements of the NSIWC
The Commission has been in existence for more than fifteen (15) years, during which time its activities had impacted positively on workers’ remuneration in both the public and private sectors.
The NSIWC achievements/impacts include, among others:
- Review of Academic and Professional Allowances of the staff of Tertiary Institutions;
- Review of Allowances Payable to Chairmen/Board Members of Federal parastatals:
Through Commission’s circulars SWC.04/S.1/VOL.III/489 of 11th May, 1999 and SWC/S/04/S.310/1. dated 18th January, 2007;
- Harmonization of Salaries and Allowances in the Federal Public Service through the following circulars:
- SWC.04/551 of 28th August, 1998
- SWC.04/771 of 22nd January, 1999 and
- SWC.04/808 of 29th March, 1999
- Review of the Harmonised Salaries and Allowances in the Federal Public Service. The salary increases were captured in the following circulars dated 5th May, 2000, issued by the Commission.
(a) Harmonised Public Service Salary Structure (HAPSS) SWC.04/VOL.II/991.
(b) Harmonised Tertiary Institutions Salary Structure (HATISS) SWC.04/Vol.v/1000
(c) Harmonised Armed Forces Salary Structure (HAFSS) SWC.04/VOL.iv/994.
(d) Harmonised Salary Structure and Allowances for Top Federal Public Office Holders
(e) Harmonised Police and Para-Military Salary Structure and Allowances.
(f) Review of the National Minimum Wage from N250 per month in 1991 to N5,500 per month in 2000 as enshrined in the National Minimum Wage Act 2000
Review of Medical and Health Professional Allowances through Circulars No. SWC/S/04/S.15/Vol.117 dated 19th June, 2001
- 12.5 - 4% salary increase on a sliding scale in the Federal Public Service with effect from 1st October, 2003.
- Review of Pension Rates documented by the NSIWC’s Circulars, Nos. SWC/S/04/S.8/28 dated 11th May, 1999 and SWC.04/Vol.iv./1011 dated 17th May, 2000 respectively.
Monetisation of allowances and fringe benefits through the following circulars:
- SWC/S/04/S.167/216 dated 12th February, 2004
- SWC/S/04/S.167/221 dated 12th February, 2004
- SWC/S/04/S.167/Vol.II/8 dated 26th September, 2004
Consolidation of Emoluments in the Public Service through the following circulars which took effect from 1st January, 2007:
(a) Consolidated Public Service Salary Structure (CONPSS) Ref. No. SWC/S/04/S.300/1
- Consolidated Tertiary Institutions Salary Structure (CONTISS) Ref. No.SWCS/04/S.301/1
- Consolidated University Academic Salary Structure (CONUASS) Ref. No.SWC/S/04/S.302/1
- Consolidated Top Federal Public Office Holders’ Salary Structure (CONTOPSAL) Ref. NO. SWC/S/04/S.303/1
- Consolidated Armed Forces Salary Structure (CONAFSS) Ref. No. SWC/S/04/S.304/1
- Consolidated Police Salary Structure (CONPOSS) Ref. No. SWC/S/04/S.305/1
- Consolidated Para-Military Salary Structure (CONPASS) Ref. No. SWC/S/04/S.306/1
- Consolidated Foreign Service Allowances: Ref. No.SWC/S/04/S.307/1
The Commission made all these achievements through the dynamic roles played by its past and present leaders: